The objectives of the study:
Implementation of STEM education in schools across the country involves the preparation of human capital with scientific and mathematical mind, able to think creatively and critically. To successfully achieve these goals it is necessary to pay attention to how STEM education is implemented in the early stages, that is, in schools. Also for the successful implementation of the methodologies and technologies of STEM education in schools of Kazakhstan, you must first find out the General level of the so-called STEM literacy of the population and key stakeholders. STEM literacy involves the understanding of the importance and necessity of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in modern society; at least basic knowledge in one of the STEM fields; and basic practical skills in the field of STEM.
As teachers are a key link in the transfer of knowledge and the education of STEM- literate youth, the primary aim of the study is to determine the current level of understanding of STEM education by teachers themselves, their vision of the importance of skills and knowledge of STEM in in society, as well as identify existing problems and obstacles in the development and dissemination of STEM education. The study also aimed at identifying the level of preparedness of key stakeholders, infrastructure and content to develop and sustain STEM education in the schools of Kazakhstan.
- assess the current state of STEM education in the country in the context of the whole ecosystem of education;
to assess the prospects for the development of STEM education, to identify trends, threats and opportunities;
- to develop a roadmap for the introduction and development of STEM education, to prescribe the roles and responsibilities of stakeholders;
- develop strategic proposals for MES;
- to present the study results to key stakeholders.
● Assess the current situation in the field of STEM education both in Kazakhstan and outside the country. It is carried out through the analysis of existing literature, state programs, and other official sources.
● An inside look. A survey of teachers, students, parents and other key stakeholders. The main task of this stage is to find out how respondents understand STEM education and what challenges and barriers exist in schools.
● Interview. This stage will be conducted more detailed interviews with stakeholders, with the aim to learn more about the vision of STEM education, expectations and willingness of schools to support STEM education.
According to the study:
- will be a roadmap for the introduction and development of STEM education in Kazakhstan, the role and risks of stakeholders;
- will be formed a detailed report on the current state of STEM education in Kazakhstan (issues, risks, trends, opportunities), assessing development prospects, trends, risks and opportunities;
- be developed policy proposals for the MES to implement and improve STEM education, training and infrastructure of schools;
- will be developed methodical recommendations for the teaching of STEM education, disciplines, adapted to the model curriculum;
- organized a round table with the participation of key stakeholders and experts for presentations of research results.